- The Internet, especially its World Wide Web (WWW) aspect, has been able to flourish solely because of the use of Open Standards.
- Information gets presented in forms that anyone can use, without having to use a particular vendor's software.
- Various commercial entities (especially Microsoft) have tried to 'own' the Internet via proprietary schemes, and fortunately virtually all such attempts have failed.
- We care about Open Standards, for sound business reasons, and so should your business.
- Open Standards give you a wider choice of technologies and ensure that your data will be accessible later, without requiring vendor cooperation.
- For a long time it's been feasible to run virtually all businesses using only Open-Standards-based technology.
- So don't let suppliers lock you into proprietary data processing systems.
- And wherever feasible get important data exported from proprietary systems while you still can.
- An excellent source of related information is OASIS.
- A recently-arrived serious risk to your data is "Software as a Service" (SaaS), otherwise known as "being Cloud-based".
- With which your data resides on computers owned and controlled by others and which you can't directly access.
- Your access to your data can be turned off in an instant. By accident or by design.